ABOUT THE LOS ANGELES WOMEN'S THEATRE PROJECT
WHO WE ARE
The Los Angeles Women’s Theatre Project (LAWTP), was founded in 2007 by Playwright Dee Jae Cox and Executive Producer/Songwriter Michele Weiss, as a 501 (c) 3 nonprofit organization in order to address the critical lack of representation that women face in theatre, film and all aspects of the media and Performing Arts. The LAWTP is dedicated to the education, support, promotion and production of performance projects that are created by women and are of interest and benefit to women.
The LAWTP was designed to increase opportunities for women in the performing arts, as well as providing educational opportunities and performances that represent women and their perspectives, on a broader scale.
LAWTP PRODUCTION CRITERIA
All projects seeking to work with the LAWTP must meet the following requirements:
- Performing Arts Piece (i.e. Stage play, solo show, music/comedy presentation or film)
- Written and Directed by women
- Project Produced/Spearheaded by a woman
- Of interest and benefit to women
- Present women in a positive light. (while creative license is acceptable, project can not be demeaning or derogatory to women in general)
- While there is not a designated limit on the number of cast members a project may have, either male or female, the performance piece must have at least one female in a central, leading role/performance
- Willing to make good faith efforts to hire women for production positions.